Thursday, July 24, 2008

Pioneer Day

This year for our Pioneer Day Extravaganza (hooray for state holidays!) we spent the day doing ... nothing. And it was great.
We decided to shake things up a bit (that isn't hard to do when you've been sitting on the couch relaxing for hours and hours ...) by heading to Riverton for some good ol' fashioned family fun.
We had a delicious bbq (food always tastes better when I only have to bring ONE dish), water stuff for the kiddos, trampolines to tire them out and fun fireworks for all :) I love fireworks and love that some of the neighbors were using the illegals -- hey, they're cool looking.
I can never see a driveway-fireworks show without thinking of that summer in Missouri when my dad fell out of his chair in fear as a screaming ball of fire shot his way. Good times. Oh the memories that are created when you don't know how to open a fireworks package correctly.
Anyway, here are the fabulous shots of our fabulous four. Well, only three because let's face it, I don't DO pictures I TAKE them :)


Little ds especially enjoyed his first taste of corn-on-the-cob, which, as you can tell, he mistook for a banana. Very easy mistake. Happens to me all the time.
As you can see, he did figure it out, and took to it like a TRex chomping down his last meal.

Dd wasn't sure about the corn, but she sure enjoyed Grammies sugar-on-a-stick. No surprise there.

Despite her voracious love for all things sugary, she was willing to take a break from all that licking to strike a pose. Garret is always her willing ally in picture-posing.

After their timely sugar rush the children took their renewed energy and directed it into playing in the pool.

Which, as usual, ds shunned in favor of playing with a ball. Well, it could have been the fact that there were already three splashy girls in the pool too.

Apparently the adults were harder to entertain, as they spent the waning daylight hours playing Tap Tap Revenge (yes, a version of DDR for your FINGERS). The real question is, who won?

And entertaining poor ds by putting dirty socks on his head. Sadly, I think he liked it.

After the fireworks the kids were so exhausted they quickly fell asleep on the way home. Their parents rejoiced and then stayed up until the new day blogging the night away, side by side, sitting in front of their computers. How romantic.

I hope everyone had a wonderful pioneer day and took a moment to remember, with gratitude, the sacrifices of our forebears! Amen :)

No comments: