Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Valentine 2009


I wouldn't say that Valentine's is one of my favorite holidays, however it is a bright spot in the long bleak winter months so for that I will always love it.
Trent and I usually do something fun but low-key for Valentines -- in fact, the past couple years I have convinced him to let me pick the restaurant. You know how I pick? We go to whatever place I have coupon's for :D Lucky for him our ward was throwing a Vday dinner -- otherwise the dinner would have been Quiznos (coupons were slim pickings this year! haha).
We don't do the whole roses and chocolate stuff -- I enjoy getting flowers but it's more fun if it is a surprise, and you know, not twice as much as they normally would cost. I always enjoy making a big deal out of the holiday for the kids as well so it is usually a fun-filled day of hearts and treats.
This year, I must say, was by far the best Valentines ever. I think that was party due to the fact that it was celebrated on a Saturday so we were able to do fun things all day long.
First off, Trent did an awesome job surprising me this year. He knew I was planning on waking up early to make heart-shaped pancakes and decorate the kitchen special, but he was secretly planning something else. After I woke up he told me to wear a pair of pj's and get the kids ready to go out :) Meanwhile he dressed up like a stud complete with a tie and dress clothes and shepherded his jammy-clad family out the door. That morning he took us on a tour of many of the special memory places from when we were dating. He was prepared with the camera so we could take pictures (it's part of a project we're making together for our 5-year anniversary). Two of those "memory places" just happened to be Einstein Bagels (with heart-shaped bagels!) and Jamba Juice :D

After having fun reminiscing and eating we headed back home for a relaxing afternoon. Around lunch time I kicked the kiddos out of the kitchen so I could prepare a surprise for them:) We had a special family lunch with gourmet cuisine -- Grilled cheese and tomato sandwiches, strawberries, grapes, snap peas and Ginger Ale with cranberry juice ice cubes (shaped like hearts of course).

I think the kids were most excited about the "decorations" which is really funny. Martha would not approve of my paper-bag-valentines alongside glass bowls with floating candles :D haha. It was exciting to the kids however and they loved having a fun candlelit lunch.

That afternoon I helped to set up for the ward dinner and Trent picked up the babysitter for our night out :) I must say, we were incredibly, ridiculously spoiled at the party. One of our service missionary couples happen to own a catering company and they volunteered their services for the party. It. Was. Incredible. Prime rib, chicken, mashed potatoes, rolls, green beans, carrots and delectable desserts. We were able to sit with wonderful friends and had an entertaining, relaxing evening full of LAUGHS and FOOD and great company. There were a few games and lots of time for socializing and eating. It was wonderful! I think everyone practically kissed the feet of our missionary friends for the incredible evening.
Overall it was a great holiday spent with family and friends celebrating all the day long :D (Now how are we going to top that next year??)


3 comments:

lAuRa said...

Looks like a lot of fun! Cute lil baggies! I didn't have enough energy to do things for our kids-I think getting Faith outta the house was good enough for her. haha /i totally am the same way with roses n chocolates....it's just not a surprise, so i told him to give them to me some other random day.

Stephanie said...

I LOVE THE SACKS! what a good idea

Naazju said...

Unfortunately for Martha Stewart, I love your craftiness a lot more. :D