Monday, July 26, 2010

Keeping up with the jones

I was talking with my dad yesterday about Christmas (uh, yes, we do that in July ... don't you?)
I mentioned how wonderfully easy it was to shop for Shaylie and Truman. I have a feeling this year Shaylie will say she wants some sort of Barbie for her top gift and Truman will likely name a car.
I attribute their easy-to-pleaseness to the fact that 1)I refuse to go down toy aisles in Walmart ;) and 2)They don't watch TV so I don't have to worry about them seeing a billion and a half toy commercials to give them a wantsie list like no other.
My dad then popped my bubble. He mentioned that that simplicity all changes once kids start school. I realized there was some truth to that ... all of a sudden you have friends, playdates and all sorts of toy comparisons to make.
And my friends, as of today, our very first day of kindergarten(ish), I learned it was 100% true.
Shaylie mentioned that some of the kids brought snacks for snack time and she wanted to bring a snack too. So I said, well what would you like to bring? And do you know what she said?
"I saw a girl with a banana, a water and apple slices. I want that too."
This, coming from the girl who shuns bananas on most other occassions. Oh dear :)
And if you want to hear the whole dramatic retelling of our first day of kindergarten, stay tuned for tonight. It's a doozy.

2 comments:

Raven said...

Well, at least it was a healthy snack! :) Can't wait to hear more about the adventures!

Harmony said...

OH, my. And so it begins. I always think I'll be able to keep Megan somewhat healthy during the winter, too, but then I remembered she'll be going to nursery at some point. DANG ALL THOSE OTHER KIDS!