Saturday, July 10, 2010

the long awaited milestone :)

No this is not another post about Marilee and her hair ;) Though I do have a picture of her hair in a barrett that is just begging to be posted ... another day :)
Many of you know that Marilee has taken forever and a day to learn to feed herself. For most babies the oral thing comes pretty quickly. They hit a certain age and every stinking thing (from trash to toys to food) ends up in their mouth. Not so with Marilee. She did not care to put anything in her mouth really. If the binkie fell out it stayed out. If she picked up a toy she played with it, she didn't eat it. This was just fine with me (and my crumb-y floor) except for the fact that it meant she couldn't feed herself. So, while other little babies would contendly eat bread or cereal while mom cooked dinner I couldn't do that with Marilee. And I admit, I was anxiously awaiting this milestone.
I even googled it to see how loonngg it was going to take. According to all-knowing google, babies can take up to the age of 10 months to figure this out.
Well, Marilee, you finally did it. At 9 1/2 months :) It started with your sippy cup. Now that you only nurse 3 times a day (thank heavens for that), you've started being interested in your cup. Slowly but surely you figured out how to kinda sorta drink it yourself. Then ... a week later ... you were starving. We were in the car and the only thing I had was a big hunk of a hamburger bun (random, I know). Well, I put that in your hands (while you screamed in protest wanting me to put it in your mouth) and then I shoved your little bread-filled fist into your mouth and the rest is history :)
Yes, feeding time is MesSy now. BUT it's a lovely thing. Dinner time is no longer a feed myself feed the baby drama. You happily munch away at your favorite foods : definetely seasoned potatoes and grapes.
As I post this, a few days away from you turning 10 months old, you're already making the first forays into walking! I can't belive how fast babies change. This week really emphasized that to me. In one weeks time you start feeding yourself and then try to walk :) You haven't quite "walked" so we're not counting it yet, but you love to stand by yourself and just today you've lifted your foot, taken a step forward ... and then fell down :)
Marilee, you rock.

4 comments:

whelmar said...

Hooray for Marilee! hehehe!

Jenny said...

Haha! How cute! I remember waiting for Hailey to get her first tooth, I waited and waited and waited...she was walking at 10 months and I was still waiting for her first tooth...then at 11 months, she got it and within the month she had 3 more...lol.

Merilee is so cute and I can't wait to see more cute pics of her!

Dusty and Amy said...

YAY!! She is such a cute, cute baby! Good thing too...Colton is so handsome I couldn't just betroth him to anyone :0P

Alice-Anne said...

isn't it amazing how each kid gets to certain milestones at their own time...yeah, I love when they can feed themselves. Except it is so much work to clean up from! Oh and I loved Shaylie's faces when opening presents...those are classic! I am currently trying to figure out the perfect gifts for a 5 year old (looks like you did it right!)...it's next week for us.